A Waldorf experience in nature for Early Childhood students
For the 2020/21 school year our traditional Early Childhood programs are transitioning into predominantly-outdoor schedules, with ample time in nature allowing children to play and explore in the fresh air on our sprawling campus. There will be opportunities to play in the stream, hike on the trails, play in the woods, and frolic on the private class playgrounds.
Our morning Nursery and Kindergarten programs will follow a similar rhythm as in previous years but with expanded time out of the classroom on our beautiful playgrounds. Circle, story, snack and lunch will all take place outside this year. We will continue to offer watercolor painting, coloring, and seasonal crafts which will be offered indoors in small groups to allow for physical distancing. Handwashing and good hygiene will be a top priority along with regular disinfecting of the high-touch surface areas.
Our curriculum has always been inspired by the cycle of the year and the seasonal changes, and there is no better way to experience this than through immersion in the great outdoors! The natural environment will stimulate the imagination, awaken critical thinking, and provide opportunities to strengthen motor skills.
- Early Childhood Open House
- First Grade Readiness: An Evening for Parents of Rising First Grade Students
The daily and weekly rhythms listed below are the schedule for our Nursery (age 3-4) and Kindergarten (age 4-6). Our Forest Parent and Child Program offers weekly morning classes for children ages 18 months through 6 years with a parent or caregiver.
- 8-8:30 Arrival, bathroom + hand washing (class begins outside)
- 9:00 Morning activity
- 10:00 Bathroom + hand washing
- 10:15 Circle (outside)
- 10:30 Snack (outside) + hand washing
- 11:00 Outside play continues
- 11:45 Story and farewell (outside)
- 12:00 Noon dismissal
- 12:00 Transition to lunch (outside) + hand washing
Extended Day Rhythm:
- 12:00 Lunch (outside) followed by outside play
- 1:15 Transition to nap including bathroom + hand washing
- 1:30 Nap (inside)
- 2:30 Nap ends, bathroom + hand washing
- 2:45 Dismissal
- Monday: Nature Walk
- Tuesday: Coloring*
- Wednesday: Arts and Crafts*
- Thursday: Painting*
- Friday: Gardening / Outdoor Adventures
*Coloring, Arts and Crafts and Painting will take place indoors with alternating small groups while the rest of the class remains outdoors on the playground.