Please note: Our early childhood programs for children ages 3-6 – our Marigold and Sunflower classes – are completely full at this time. However, families may still apply and complete the admissions process to be accepted to our Waiting Pool (click for details and benefits).
The Marigold Class at Charlottesville Waldorf School provides a haven for three and four year old children to meet the world in a warm, safe and joyous space. The teachers receive the children each morning with a big smile and an invitation to join the fun!
The mornings in the Marigold preschool classroom are vibrant with all manner of creative play and purposeful homemaking. The children love to assist the teachers while they prepare the whole grain snack, water the plants, tend to the laundry, set the table. Others are busy in free play, creating fanciful structures and pretend scenarios using the open-ended toys made from natural materials.
Each day’s activity also includes circle and finger games, story time or puppet plays, and lots of time romping around our beautiful outdoor spaces (in all weather!). During the course of the week children will color pictures with beeswax crayons, grind grain to bake bread, and paint pictures with rich watercolor paints.
The preschool year is all about emerging from the small circle of family and home into the wider world. The children are learning about friendship, sharing and caring, while they also learn how to move and use their bodies to do all the things they can imagine.
Preschool Class options
Our Marigold class is open to children 3-4 years old. There are two, three, and five day schedules, with half and full day options.
Children turning 5 during the school year are expected/required to attend school 5 days a week. The class has a Waldorf-trained lead teacher and an assistant.
See our Tuition and Fees page for days, times, and tuition.
Send in an Inquiry Form to begin your child’s application.
About our Early Childhood Waiting Pool:
Although the Sunflower and Marigold classes (for ages 3-6) are currently full, you may still apply to be added to the Waiting Pool for these classes. Details and benefits of joining the Waiting Pool for our Early Childhood classes are listed below.
- Waiting Pool families could be given a spot if someone leaves the program this summer or fall.
- Waiting Pool families will be given priority registration in winter of 2022 when we open enrollment for the 2022-23 school year.
- Priority Registration happens right after current families have the chance to re-enroll, and before enrollment is opened to the general public.
- Children age-out to first grade each year, so even if every child re-enrolls in our programs, we will have space for new families when Priority Registration begins.
- Children in the Waiting Pool who will be enrolling in an early childhood class in school year 2022/23 will not need to re-apply to the program once they are in the Waiting Pool.
- Children who will enter First Grade in school year 2022-23 will need additional documentation and evaluations before a First Grade acceptance is given. The EC Waiting Pool does not guarantee acceptance in the CWS Grade School program.
For more information on our programs:
- Waldorf Early Childhood Programs – learn about creative play, extended time outdoors, use of story and song, and a daily rhythm
- Forest Parent & Child Program – enrolling children ages 18 months to age six with a caregiver
- Benefits of an Outdoor Education from the CWS October 2020 Seasonal Journal on the abundant benefits – and research to back up – outdoor education.
- 21st Century Waldorf Education to see how we are bringing Waldorf education into the 21st Century at CWS.
- First Grade: Bridge to Academics, and get a peek into Waldorf First Grade and our philosophy.
Enjoy the reading and contact our Admissions office if you have questions. We are happy to walk you through the admissions process to join our Waiting Pool.