KIM JOHN PAYNE: SOCIAL INCLUSION & the NEW RITES of PASSAGE
Thursday, March 7, 2019 • 6:30 PM
Charlottesville High School’s Martin Luther King, Jr. Performing Arts Center
Discussion 6:30–8:30pm | Q&A 8:30–9:30pm
Kim John Payne M.ED tackles this timely and challenging topic with methods that express disapproval of target behaviors while not seeking to give punishment or apportion blame. Rather, matters are dealt with openly and firmly but not judgmentally. This whole community approach fosters a “telling environment” where children and parents feel free to speak up knowing they will not place the victim in further danger or get the bully in trouble.
- Learn about a social inclusion approach which emphasizes politeness and courtesy as keys to establishing social impulse control and empathetic relationships at home and school.
- We will explore why certain children get picked on while others bully.
- Kim John Payne will share how to make teasing guidelines the children understand and use.
- We will learn how to facilitate class and home meetings around social exclusion issues, and how to actively engage peers, other students, in developing and implementing the Social Inclusion Approach.
- Kim John Payne will offer simple interventions which can be used by teachers and parents alike.
- Discover the three foundations of helping children change negative social patterns without needing to be blamed and shamed: Disapprove/Affirm
- Do over
- Together, we will learn how to develop a whole community approach and policy that is supported in your school and home.
About Kim John Payne, M. ED
Kim John Payne is the author of the #1 Best Selling book Simplicity Parenting.
He is an Australian who has, for 27 years, worked throughout the world as a counselor, consultant, researcher and educator of both children and adults.
He has been helping children, adolescents and families explore issues such as social difficulties with siblings and classmates, attention and behavioral issues at home and school, and a range of emotional issues such as defiance, aggression, addiction and self-esteem.
He regularly gives key note addresses at international conferences for educators, parents and therapists and runs workshops and training’s around the world.
He is faculty at Antioch University New England. He has been featured in Time Magazine, Parenting Magazine, and is a regular guest on NPR, BBC, ABC, NBC & CBS television.